In principle and practice, AAUW-NYS values and seeks an inclusive diverse membership.
There shall be no barriers to full participation in this organization on the basis of gender, race, creed, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or class.
AAUW’s mission statement emphasizes its determination to meet the needs of women of all ages, cultures and abilities. Bringing an inclusive diverse population into programs and membership is the feature that results in an influential organization that mirrors the community.
- Turn speakers and guests into members.
- Include the diversity statement on all printed materials such as the branch newsletter and membership flyer.
- Include components of diversity and social justice in all programs.
- Ensure that all AAUW meeting places are handicapped accessible.
- Appoint a diversity officer with the responsibility of including a diversity component in all branch programs.
- Send announcements of activities to the network of community organizations.
- Invite diverse speakers and guests to branch programs.
- Include a brief diversity article in each issue of the branch newsletter. Topics can vary according to community activities, information regarding upcoming programs, highlight particular members, historic events, etc.
- A vibrant branch with increased membership.
The national website also has suggestions for working on the diversity issue - click HERE for that toolkit.